The several benefits sandalwood oil provides has made it an oil almost every household own.
In this article, I will be guiding you on the ingredients needed to make sandalwood oil and steps on how to make sandalwood oil.
Ingredients/Materials Needed To Make Sandalwood Oil
1. Sandalwood chips or powder
4. Olive oil
5. Sieve or strainer
6. Storage jar
Steps On How To Make Sandalwood Oil
Follow the steps mentioned to make your sandalwood oil at home:
1. Pour your sandalwood chips into a mortar
2. Crush the sandalwood into pieces with your pestle
3. Pour the crushed sandalwood chips into a glass jar or any storage container
4. Pour 1 litre of olive oil into the storage jar
5. Leave the mixture in the storage jar for a week and shake daily
6. On the 7th day, pour your sandalwood and olive oil mixture into a strainer or sieve with a container underneath it
7. Collect the oil extracted from the mixture and store it in a storage container
Congratulations, your sandalwood oil is ready to be used.
Health Benefits Of Sandalwood
Sandalwood is quite medicinal as it provides several health benefits. Several medical and traditional research has proven that continuous usage of sandalwood can cure:
1. Urinary tract infection (UTI)
2. Digestive problems
3. Poor appetite
4. Chest pain
6. Liver and gallbladder problems
10. Sore throat
13. High blood pressure
14. Low libido
18. Muscle problems
19. Physical and mental disorder
Skin Benefits Of Sandalwood
Asides from being of great advantage on one’s health, sandalwood also provides great benefits to one’s skin.
Benefits sandalwood provides to human skin are:
1. Reduction in skin wrinkle
2. Skin moisturization
3. Removal of acne and blackhead
4. Elimination of acne-causing bacteria
5. Exfoliation of the skin
6. Reduction in the appearance of hyperpigmentation and acne scar
7. Clearing of eczema
8. Softening of the skin
9. Removal of dark patches on the skin that occurred as a result of sun exposure
Brief History On Sandalwood
Sandalwood is a class of woods from the trees in the Genus Santalum, they are usually heavy, yellow and fine-grained.
It is a popular ingredient used in making perfumes as its fragrance tend to last for decades.
Sandalwood oil is extracted from sandalwood and it provides several health benefits to humans.
Sandalwood is called “iyerosun” in Yoruba.
Side Effects Of Sandalwood
Despite its numerous health and skin benefits, it still has some side effects and as such be used in moderation.
Some of the side effects associated with excess usage of sandalwood oil are:
1. High blood pressure
2. Fast heart rate
3. Skin irritation
4. Presence of blood in the urine
5. Skin rash or contact dermatitis
6. Chemical burn on the skin
10. Abdominal pain
11. kidney damage
See also: 10 Side Effects Of Bitter Leaf
Sandalwood Oil Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Question: Does sandalwood lighten or whiten the skin?
Answer: Yes, sandalwood acts as a skin lightening agent as it contains natural skin lightening ingredients.
Question: Is sandalwood edible?
Answer: It is not advisable to take sandalwood orally as it can result in some severe health concerns.
Question: Is sandalwood oil comedogenic?
Answer: Yes and no.
Yes because it blocks the pores of the skin to get rid of excess oil on the skin.
No because also moisturizes and soften the skin, this eliminates blackhead on the skin.
So it is safe to use sandalwood oil on the skin.
Question: Can sandalwood oil cure erectile dysfunction?
Answer: Yes, sandalwood oil is very effective in increasing blood flow in the body and such, it helps in circulating blood to the penis.
Originally posted on May 20, 2021 @ 7:13 pm